Affirmations: How to improve your Exam Mindset
Positive affirmations are positive statements that describe a desired situation or goal and are often repeated until they are impressed on the subconscious mind.
Most people repeat in their minds negative words and statements concerning the situations and events in their lives and consequently, create undesirable situations. Words work both ways, to build or destroy. It is the way we use them that determines whether they are going to bring good or harmful results.
When you know how to use affirmations, you get a great tool for achieving success and for improving your life. They are fantastic when used in the midst of exam season, when people are so stressed and full of self-doubt.
Positive affirmations will steer you to success by:
- Deliberately imprinting on your memory. By repeating a phrase what defines what you want, causes the subconscious mind to strive and to work on your behalf to make the positive statement come true.
- Silencing any negative self talk. Writing down and saying affirmations replaces doubts with positive self-talk and helps you to relax. They enable your goals to be conditioned into your memory and silence your “inner critic”.
When writing your own affirmations use the following tips:
- Write them in the first person, present tense “I…”
- Write it in a positive sense
- Don’t compare to others
- “I feel clear, calm and confident leading up to these exams”
- “I pass exams easily”
- “I succeed in stressful situations”
- “I will stay focused on my studies”
- “I will pass my exams”
- “I will be relaxed during exams”
- “I will recall information quickly”
- “Good study habits are ingrained in me”
When written, stick the affirmations to your bedroom wall so they are the first thing you see when you wake up, or save them to your phone and read them throughout the day or perhaps record yourself saying them and listen to them when you’re exercising.
The key is to be consistent and say them to yourself often…and let your mind flourish!